[vtk-developers] Fix vtk_exodus2_mangle.h now please

David Cole david.cole at kitware.com
Wed Jul 22 07:31:53 EDT 2009

I will not claim to be "a one of the cmake gods" .... but my main suspect
for this incident is line 457 of the top level CMakeLists.txt:
INCLUDE_REGULAR_EXPRESSION("(^|/)((lex|png|j|z|t|D|Q|verdict).*|${VTK_REGEX}|${VTK_REGEX_TXX})$")

Somehow one of the header files involved in this particular chain of
dependencies does not match our regular expression for tracking include file
dependencies...

The system is complex and the system is imperfect. The nightly dashboards
would have been fine if this is just an "incremental rebuilds do not work
unless you touch this .cxx file" scenario.

It's nice to have a real live human to blame for stuff, but this is not
really anybody's fault -- it's more like the nature of the beast: we accept
small imperfections in the system like this so that we don't have even
longer incremental rebuild times than we do now.

This has and will continue to happen occasionally (every few months or so)
with VTK. The best thing to do when it does happen is to send an email to
the VTK Developers list and say : "hey, this happens on the continuous and
will happen with your next cvs update/incremental rebuild -- make sure to do
a full rebuild or touch this .cxx file to avoid the problem..."

If Nathan had sent that email yesterday when he first observed the symptom,
none of us would have had to wade through this thread today and perhaps
there would be less hurt feelings all around the table....

HTH,
David