[vtk-developers] Rendering bugs on Mac OSX when using vtk with gtk

Valerie Coffman valerie.coffman at nist.gov
Mon Jul 13 13:09:47 EDT 2009

Sean,

Thanks for your reply.

The bugs occur with NVIDIA GeForce 8600M GT and the NVIDIA GeForce 7300
GT.  We don't have any macs with ATI cards available to us, but I can
ask around.

I posted python scripts at http://www.ctcms.nist.gov/oof/renderingbug/
but you can also see some of the symptoms (specifically the errors with
displaying a cone) of the bug by running GtkGLExtVTKRenderWindow.py or
noglext.py which are provided with the vtk source.  The path for these
is Wrapping/Python/vtk/gtk.

Valerie

Sean McBride wrote:
> Valerie,
>
> Did you narrow it down to particular graphics card?  Did you try with
> ATI cards?  If you send me an executable offlist, I can try to repro
> with the various machines here.
>
> Just because it broke in 10.5.7 doesn't mean it's not a VTK bug of
> course, but it does seem more likely to be on OS bug.
>
> Sean
>

> On 7/13/09 12:13 PM, Valerie Coffman said:
>

>> Has anybody had a chance to look at this?  This is a very serious bug
>> for us as it makes our software unusable on the latest Mac OS.
>>
>> I filed a bug report with apple weeks ago, but have not heard anything.
>> It's likely that they just think it is a bug in VTK.
>>

>> Valerie Coffman wrote:
>>
>>> Dear VTK Developers,
>>>
>>> I posted this to the vtkusers mailing list, but got no responses.  I
>>> suppose this list is more appropriate, so I'm hoping someone here is
>>> able to help.
>>>
>>> After the latest Mac OSX update, I noticed a bug with rendering vtk data
>>> embedded in gtk windows.  If I try to render a vtkVolume and a vtkActor,
>>> the vtkVolume is not displayed and the vtkActor is displayed
>>> incorrectly.  For instance, a cone is missing its base.  This does not
>>> happen if the vtk window is not embedded in a gtk window.  It also
>>> doesn't happen when using the same versions of vtk and gtk on a under
>>> Linux with a Linux display.  It does happen if I ssh to a Linux box and
>>> display on the Mac.  (I was unable to check whether the bug appeared
>>> when running on a Mac but displaying in Linux as this resulted in a bus
>>> error.)
>>>
>>> I am not using gtkglext.  I posted a while back about how to put vtk and
>>> gtk together without gtkglext or gtkglarea:
>>> http://www.vtk.org/pipermail/vtkusers/2008-April/094892.html (see the
>>> script Wrapping/Python/vtk/gtk/noglext.py in the source for vtk 5.4).
>>> In fact, this bug appeared earlier when using gtkglext and went away
>>> when I implemented the fix described in the above link.  Now it has
>>> resurfaced.
>>>
>>> Here are the details of the latest Mac updates
>>>
>>> 2009-06-09 13:14:35 -0400: Installed "Digital Camera Raw Compatibility
>>> Update" (2.6)
>>> 2009-06-09 13:14:50 -0400: Installed "AirPort Utility Software Update
>>> 2009-002" (5.4.2)
>>> 2009-06-09 13:15:07 -0400: Installed "iWork '09 Update 2" (9.0.2)
>>> 2009-06-09 13:15:49 -0400: Installed "iTunes" (8.2.0)
>>> 2009-06-09 13:15:53 -0400: Installed "iLife Support" (9.0.3)
>>> 2009-06-09 13:16:07 -0400: Installed "iDVD Update" (7.0.4)
>>> 2009-06-09 13:18:54 -0400: Installed "Mac OS X Update" (10.5.7)