[vtk-developers] Proposed refactoring of locators

Moreland, Kenneth kmorel at sandia.gov
Thu Jul 9 20:35:43 EDT 2009

I have a feature request that is a bit orthogonal to the changes proposed, but since you bring it up...

On more than one occasion when using a location I have found myself searching for a point (or cell) that matches some criteria and that I know (or suspect) is "near" a particular coordinate.  The locator provides the ability to find the closest point/cell, but that might not be the one I am looking for.  All the other options return some group of points/cells, but if I am being conservative, I will have to make the locator search through many more bins than I would need in the common case.

For these situations, it would be helpful to have a means to iterate over the bins in the locator starting with the one containing the given coordinates and then moving to the next closest one and so on.  In that way we could do an iterative search starting with close matches for the common case and then moving away for a exhaustive search.

-Ken