[vtk-developers] vtkfreetype update

Sean McBride sean at rogue-research.com
Mon Jan 5 18:00:54 EST 2009

On 7/18/08 1:43 PM, David Cole said:

>Sean McBride has been investigating upgrading vtk's freetype to 2.3.6 to
>include some security fixes in the freetype code.
>
>It's listed as this bug in the VTK bug tracker:
><http://public.kitware.com/Bug/view.php?id=7199>http://
public.kitware.com/Bug/view.php?id=7199

>Is there somebody on this list who is a "VTK / text rendering / embedded
>fonts" expert that could have a quick discussion with one of the freetype
>devs about why some of the text rendering is different (and maybe "worse")
>than before upgrading to 2.3.6...? If so, reply to me and I'll connect you
>guys.
>
>Sean is holding off committing this bug fix to CVS HEAD until we make sure
>it's what we want to do.

Hi all,

Just wanted to update the community on this.

VTK CVS has freetype 2.3.5.  2.3.6 included security updates.  2.3.7 is
current.  The only thing stopping me from updating VTK is the fact that
2.3.6/.7 render differently and break some VTK unit tests.  The results
are visibly worse.  The other day, I debugged it the old fashioned way,
and regressed through freetype CVS.  A bug fix of theirs caused our problems:

<https://savannah.nongnu.org/bugs/?19976>

But now I'm stuck again.  The freetype guys (understandably) need the
font.  But VTK's fonts are in some wacky C++ format.

Can anyone help?

Thanks,

Sean McBride, B. Eng                 sean at rogue-research.com