[vtk-developers] Examples Guidelines

Andrew Maclean andrew.amaclean at gmail.com
Tue Dec 22 19:51:31 EST 2009

Hi David,
For the simple points reader I would be inclined to rework it using
vtkParticleReader instead of vtkSimplePointsReader for the simple
reason that that the vtkParticleReader class reads x,y,z and an
optional scalar in both binary or ASCII format.

Here is the link to a small converter I posted a while back:
http://public.kitware.com/pipermail/vtk-developers/2007-October/004746.html

Feel free to add this one to if you like it.

Regards
   Andrew

On Wed, Dec 23, 2009 at 12:04 AM, David Doria <daviddoria+vtk at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Mon, Dec 21, 2009 at 11:37 PM, Andrew Maclean <andrew.amaclean at gmail.com>
> wrote:
>>
>> Hi Bill,
>>
>> The guidelines look Ok, just one comment: Is there a reason for not
>> specifying the std:: namespace? E.g. I just like to make it explicit
>> that for example I am using std::cerr and not cerr.
>>
>> If you would like it I am happy to submit an example that reads
>> x,y,z, r,g,b,a point cloud data and produces a vtp file, I would call
>> it ReadXYZRGBA. Just tell me where you would like it and I will write
>> it up.
>> It will demonstrate a templated parser that skips comments and how to
>> create and fill a vtkPolyData structure.
>> Users should be able to easily modify if for reading in x,y,z, scalar
>> or x,y,z, scalar, r,g,b,a etc. I'll leave some hints in the code!
>>
>>  Regards
>>   Andrew
>
> Andrew,
>
> I have already added something similar -
> http://www.cmake.org/Wiki/Read_a_delimited_file_into_a_polydata
> http://www.cmake.org/Wiki/Read_a_simple_"xyz"_file_of_points
> though it is not templated. A templated version is welcome, but I'd leave
> those simple examples, too, for the "non-c++ expert" type user that is
> trying to use VTK.
> Bill,
> You have definitely captured my vision in this guideline, well written! I
> agree to all points.
> Thanks,
>
> David

Andrew J. P. Maclean