[vtk-developers] Adding ComputeArea() to vtkTriangle

Marcus D. Hanwell marcus.hanwell at kitware.com
Tue Dec 22 16:52:58 EST 2009

On Tue, Dec 22, 2009 at 4:45 PM, David Doria
<daviddoria+vtk at gmail.com<daviddoria%2Bvtk at gmail.com>
> wrote:

>  Tue, Dec 22, 2009 at 4:39 PM, David Cole <david.cole at kitware.com> wrote:
>
>> On Tue, Dec 22, 2009 at 4:34 PM, David Doria <daviddoria+vtk at gmail.com<daviddoria%2Bvtk at gmail.com>
>> > wrote:

>>> Ok, I'll add more polygon tests. I've never looked at these coverage
>>> files - I'm assuming that the red 000000 means that line is not tested? Can
>>> you figure out where the line is tested by the number? e.g.
>>>
>>> 00037579   void vtkPolygon::ComputeNormal(vtkPoints *p, double *n)
>>>
>>> How would you turn 00037579 into a file name?
>>>

>> The number preceding each line is supposed to be the number of times that
>> line was called. To find callers, grep for the function name, once you find
>> a candidate, set a breakpoint on the line and run a test in the debugger to
>> verify that you can stop there...
>>

> A couple more things...
>
> 1) Can/should tests use smart pointers?

I think they can be used in tests, and I have done this in multiple places.

> 2) Can this function be placed somewhere so it doesn't need to be copied
> into many of the tests?
>
> // Perform a fuzzy compare of floats/doubles
> template<class A>
> bool fuzzyCompare(A a, A b) {
>   return fabs(a - b) < vtkstd::numeric_limits<A>::epsilon();
> }
>
> I was thinking about moving it (is this from one of my tests), but I wanted
to see how it did before doing so. If this is generally useful (I suspect it
would be) I can add it to vtkMath and exclude it from the wrapping. Any
opinions from the more seasoned VTK developers out there on why it might not
be a good idea to add functions like this?

Marcus
--
Marcus D. Hanwell, Ph.D.
R&D Engineer, Kitware Inc.