[vtk-developers] Wiki Examples - commited a fix

David Doria daviddoria+vtk at gmail.com
Mon Dec 21 15:13:39 EST 2009

On Mon, Dec 21, 2009 at 3:05 PM, Bill Lorensen <bill.lorensen at gmail.com> wrote:
> David,
>
> Actually, we need to create a reasonable number of example categories.
> These will be used to organize the examples in the repository. I'll
> leave this example name as is until we come up with a good
> categorization.
>
> Bill
>
> On Mon, Dec 21, 2009 at 3:02 PM, Bill Lorensen <bill.lorensen at gmail.com> wrote:
>> David,
>>
>> The wiki page name should be:
>>
>> http://www.cmake.org/Wiki/VTK/Examples/Checkerboard
>> and the heading should be
>> Visually Compare Two Images
>>
>> I'll make the changes to show the way...
>>
>> Bill

>>> Dean,
>>>
>>> First of all, thanks for contributing! This type of effort is what
>>> will make this examples section really thrive! In the future, the
>>> users list (rather than the developers list) is probably a better
>>> place for this conversation.
>>>
>>> So it looks like what I was missing was the SetNumberOfDivisions call?
>>> It seems like there should be some default that would have happened
>>> without that call rather than segfaulting?
>>>
>>> Also, I believe we need to leave the Update() calls after the readers:
>>> jPEGReader1->SetFileName ( inputFilename1.c_str() );
>>> jPEGReader1->Update();
>>>
>>> to ensure the data is actually read before it is used.
>>>
>>> To edit the description text (where it says "this is currently
>>> broken...") - use the "Edit" tab at the top of the page. I went ahead
>>> and did it for this one:
>>> http://www.cmake.org/Wiki/VTK/Examples/Visually_Compare_Two_Images
>>>
>>> Thanks again - and keep up the good work!
>>>
>>> David
>>> Powered by www.kitware.com

Yea, I thought we would need to agree on some categories - that's why
I haven't been diving in to the renaming yet. It's going to be a tough
balance of being descriptive enough while not having hundreds of
folders.

Another thing - do we keep the structure of
VTK/Examples/Mesh/Cxx/Something.cxx
and
VTK/Examples/Mesh/Python/Something.py
?

To me it seems a bit cleaner if it is separated by language:
VTK/Examples/Cxx/Mesh/Something.cxx
VTK/Examples/Python/Mesh/Something.py

And will we allow subfolders? i.e.(these are not necessarily
reasonable, but just to illustrate)
VTK/Examples/Cxx/Mesh/Operations/Subdivision.cxx
VTK/Examples/Cxx/Mesh/Operations/Decimation.cxx
VTK/Examples/Cxx/Mesh/Interaction/PointPicking.cxx
VTK/Examples/Cxx/Mesh/Interaction/CellPicking.cxx

Thoughts?

Thanks,

David