[vtk-developers] Meeting minutes

David Cole david.cole at kitware.com
Fri Dec 18 12:24:32 EST 2009

On Fri, Dec 18, 2009 at 12:11 PM, Marcus D. Hanwell <
marcus.hanwell at kitware.com> wrote:

> > >From what Bill said only the dashboard hosts would need CMake 2.8. So we
> > >could hopefully add subproject support, CMake 2.6.3 would continue to
> > > build VTK without issue but 2.8.0 would be required to submit builds to
> > > the dashboards. That should be a reasonable requirement as far as I can
> > > see.
> >
> > Except then nothing is testing VTK's ability to be built with older
> > CMakes.  What if VTK's CMake script gets 2.8-only syntax added to it
> > accidentally, or can CMake 2.8 warn if that happens?  (Just being
> > devil's advocate, personally, I'm happy with requiring 2.8 for everyone.)
> >
> I have been talk with Bill about this issue, and it is a concern. We
> certainly
> need to ensure that our minimum supported CMake version is tested properly.
> Right now this is a proposal under discussion, I won't make any changes
> without considering the wider ramifications.
>
> I think the subproject support would really improve the usefulness of the
> VTK
> dashboards for developers, and most of the hard work has already been done
> by
> the CMake/CDash developers.

Actually, I'm fairly confident that the amount of work needed to accomplish
this goal for VTK will well exceed the amount of time it took us to
implement those features in CMake and CDash... Don't underestimate how much
work this really is. :-)

And I think it should work just fine to have some clients submitting with
the LABELS and CMake 2.8 driving the dashboards and others submitting
without the LABELS with CMake 2.6. The dashboard will look nicer once all
can be driven by 2.8, but a mix would be better than not having the
LABELS/subproject stuff at all...

- David Cole