[vtk-developers] Meeting minutes

David Doria daviddoria+vtk at gmail.com
Thu Dec 17 16:03:37 EST 2009

All,

Thanks for a good meeting this afternoon. It may be worth scheduling these
once in a while. I've taken the liberty to summarize the discussion. I have
also posted it here for posterity:
http://www.cmake.org/Wiki/VTK/Meeting_Minutes/December_17,_2009

I have bolded the action items for those it may concern. Volunteers for this
missing "whos" are welcome!!

==Examples==
*Bill Lorensen and David D.* will continue cleaning up examples and move
them into the repository. An undergraduate intern could potentially help
with this. David D. will do some recruiting. Bill is setting up a clever
testing system so the examples can be tested without adding anything to the
code.

==Junior Jobs (JJ)==
A way to mark bugs as "easy to fix" for beginners to get their hands wet.
This would be a nice addition to mantis. *How* would we implement this?

==Dashboard division==
It would be nice to divide the VTK dashboard into sections (Graphics,
Filters, etc) using the new CDash functionality Bill Hoffman demonstrated.
This would alleviate the problem of receiving a dashboard error email every
time you commit something even if it has nothing to do with your change. *
Who* can implement this?

==VTK Journal Repository==
Submitting code to the VTK journal is slightly awkward, and maintaining it
(zipping and resubmitting) is hard. Adding a sandbox repository or teaching
everyone how to use git functionality to "post" code is a good idea.
*Who*can look into this?

==StackOverflow for VTK==
(http://stackoverflow.com/) Enabling a new means of communication to end
users may allow us to get feedback from a larger group. This forum-type
setting can be moderated by some intermediate level users (David D.
volunteered) and problems can be "promoted" to the user or devel mailing
list if they are not solved by peer users. This will free up some of the
experts time to work on larger issues. *Marcus* has volunteered to look into
this.

==VTK Conference/Workshop==
*Luis* mentioned we may be thinking about hosting a
workshop/hack-a-thon/camp. Maybe meetings like todays can become a little
more regular and we can evolve it into a bigger event with some more
outsiders?

Please let me know if I missed anything.

Thanks,

David D.