[vtk-developers] VTK Examples and Wiki Strawman

David Doria daviddoria+vtk at gmail.com
Tue Dec 15 12:54:37 EST 2009

On Tue, Dec 15, 2009 at 12:32 PM, Bill Lorensen <bill.lorensen at gmail.com> wrote:
> Folks,
>
> As a test, I've added 4 of the VTK wiki examples to the VTK/Examples/
> cvs repository. On the wiki I used a naming convention that directly
> maps into the repository tree structure.
>
> Take a look and please comment:
> http://www.vtk.org/Wiki/VTK/Examples/Widgets/Cxx/Slider
> http://www.vtk.org/Wiki/VTK/Examples/Widgets/Cxx/Slider2D
> http://www.vtk.org/Wiki/VTK/Examples/Medical/Cxx/GenerateModelsFromLabels
> http://www.vtk.org/Wiki/VTK/Examples/Medical/Cxx/GenerateCubesFromLabels
>
> Provide feedback before we start to move more examples into the vtk repository.
>
> As a caveat, I estimate it takes a minimum of an hour to take an
> existing, working example on the wiki and move it into the repository.
> If the example is not working or incorrect in another way, the time
> can be much longer.
>
> Here is the process I used for these 4 sample pages:
>
> 1) Decide where the example should reside in VTK/Examples
> 2) Copy the example from the wiki into VTK/Examples
> 3) Edit it for acceptable VTK style. This includes indentation and
> using SmartPointer when possible.
> 4) Remove any non-portable code.
> 5) Replace std::cout, etc. with cout, etc.
> 6) Replace std::string,vector, ... to vtkstd::string, vector...
> 7) Modify the CMakeLists.txt file
> 8) Build and run the example, adjusting the code so the results are informative
> 9) Check comments and add more if the example need them.
> 10) Check in the example and modified CMakeLists.txt file.
> 11) Move (rename) the wiki page to correspond to its location in the repository.
> 12) Add the link to the repository.
> 13) Download the repository version and replace the old example text
> with the repository version.
> 14) Check the continuous dashboard for troubles during the day.
> 15) The next day, check the dashboard for errors/warnings. For
> example, today, two of my examples had warnings that needed attention.
>
> Looking back at the process, one hour is a very conservative estimate.
>
> Issues:
> 1) Synchronization between the wiki and cvs source is manual. It looks
> as though some folks are investigatying a solution.
> 2) VTK/Examples are compiled if (BUILD_EXAMPLES is ON), not run. In
> the future we should regression test the results, but that is way
> beyond the scope of this initial effort.
>
> Bill

Bill,

Thanks for the initial efforts. It may be worth waiting a couple of
weeks to see if Jeff or Aashish come up with a nice solution for a
script to put the cvs code on the wiki automatically. This would
remove several of the steps and 1 of the issues. Other than these
steps which will hopefully be removed I agree with the process. To
your #5 and 6, I tried to summarize the conversation from yesterday
here:
http://www.cmake.org/Wiki/VTK/Examples#Using_STL
Is that accurate?

Jeff + Aashish,

Please keep us posted on the progress on the CVS->Wiki front. If it
doesn't look like it is going to work in a reasonable time we can
proceed with the more manual procedure.

Thanks all - I think this will be a wonderful addition to VTK!

David D.