[vtk-developers] Wiki Naming Conventions

David Gobbi david.gobbi at gmail.com
Mon Dec 14 17:30:11 EST 2009

This is kind of a late reply, but I'm very much in favor of using "/"
as the separator for wiki pages instead of any other method:

Wiki/VTK/Examples
Wiki/VTK/Examples/My_Example

This has three advantages over other naming schemes:

a) The "/" makes the hierarchical organization explicit and obvious.
Everyone knows what slash means.

a) The wiki leaves breadcrumbs if you use a slash.  See
http://www.vtk.org/Wiki/VTK/Volume_Picking for example.  It has a
"back to VTK" link at the top.  Very useful.

b) Slash is distinct from underscore.  Typically a wiki underscore is
just a placeholder for a space.  A slash says "this is how things are
organized".

Just my 2 cents.  Another comment I would like to make is that the
usefulness of the wiki has definitely improved over the past few
weeks.

   David