[vtk-developers] Using Tk with Carbon on OS X 10.6

David Gobbi david.gobbi at gmail.com
Mon Dec 14 14:55:31 EST 2009

Hi All,

I committed a patch to cvs today that allows the system Tk to be used
with cocoa builds of VTK on OS X 10.6.  Basically the patch does the
following:

1) Adds cocoa sections to vtkTkRenderWidget

2) Adds a SetParentId() method to vtkCocoaRenderWindow for use by the
RenderWidget

3) Avoids the tk "update" on expose events in the Tcl and Python
renderwidget support code under cocoa, since the update caused the
window to freeze (this is possibly a bug in cocoa tk that will be
fixed in the future... I hope)

4) Changes the CMakeLists.txt so that the VTK_USE_COCOA does not block
VTK_USE_TK anymore.

I'm not sure if many people use the vtkTkRenderWidget on OS X, but if
you do, please try this out and let me know if it works for you.

Cheers,

   David