[vtk-developers] comments inside BTX ETX + matrix variable naming

David Doria daviddoria+vtk at gmail.com
Sat Dec 12 15:49:27 EST 2009

On Sat, Dec 12, 2009 at 3:22 PM, Berk Geveci <berk.geveci at kitware.com> wrote:
>>>    c) a one line "Necessary libraries: vtkHybrid, vtkWidgets" that tells
>>>   the user which libraries they will need to link to in order to use
>>>   this class.
>>
>> This would certainly be useful, and we have talked about this before. I wonder if this belongs in descriptions of the VTK kits, and
>> whether CMake could take care of some of these lower level details for most projects.
>
> I agree that this is useful information to have but I don't think it
> should be manually maintained in the comments. Dependencies changes
> and classes move and manually maintained dependency information is
> surely to become out of sync. This information could probably be
> generated by CMake and then ingested by Doxygen relatively easily.
> That's what I'd suggest doing.
>
> -berk

1) Good points Berk. Unfortunately I'm neither a CMake nor Doxygen
expert - any volunteers to do this?

2) Marcus - I've brought up regression testing the examples many
times. I think there are two ways to go:

a) Put them in the existing VTK/Examples directory

Benefit - no initial overhead/work

Drawback - how would users googling for phrases find them? We'd need
to prominently display "See VTK/Examples for many examples!" on the
website.

b) Make the examples a separate repository (like VTKData) so that
users don't need to download the many examples unless they actually
want them.

Benefit - Separation of the large database of examples from the main
code. Experienced users can choose to not download them at all.

Drawback - some initial overhead of setting up a new CVS (or maybe we
could even start these on an SVN server?)

Bill and I continue to clean up the examples so they meet VTK coding
standards/practices, but it would be some good motivation if when they
are "ready" they could be moved into a regression testing framework.
This is necessary to ensure they live on as the project evolves.

What do you guys think about either of these?

Thanks,

David