[vtk-developers] Dropping the "lib" prefix from VTK python modules

David Gobbi david.gobbi at gmail.com
Tue Dec 8 12:27:01 EST 2009

Hi All,

The "lib" prefix on python modules has always aggravated me a bit.  It
means that when I build my own local VTK classes, I always need to
have an "if os.name == 'posix':" conditional when I load them into my
python scripts.

CMake can build the python modules without the prefix, it would be an
easy thing for me to change.  I could leave a flag in the
CMakeLists.txt so that people can add the prefix back if their code
depends on it.  Either that, or the flag could add soft links for
compatibility e.g. libvtkCommonPython.so -> vtkCommonPython.so with
internal "init" functions for both module names.

Opinions?

   David