[vtk-developers] glext.h and glxext.h on OSX

Francois Bertel francois.bertel at kitware.com
Mon Apr 20 22:21:46 EDT 2009

Picking the location for glext.h or glext.h does not matter in your
case. It would matter if the files provided by the system were too old
and would not include prototypes used by some classes of VTK. But you
would have seen that by a compile error.

On Mac, you don't need glview:

http://www.vtk.org/Wiki/VTK_FAQ#How_do_I_check_which_OpenGL_versions_or_extensions_are_supported_by_my_graphic_card_or_OpenGL_implementation.3F

Read  also this to understand OpenGL compile-time vs run-time:

http://www.vtk.org/Wiki/VTK_FAQ#Terminology
http://www.vtk.org/Wiki/VTK_FAQ#What_is_the_minimal_OpenGL_version_of_the_API_required_to_compile_VTK5.0.3F
http://www.vtk.org/Wiki/VTK_FAQ#What_is_the_minimal_OpenGL_version_required_by_VTK5.2_at_runtime.3F

PS: you should have posted your question to vtkusers not
vtk-developers. This list is for people developing VTK, not people
developing software with VTK (users).

the GL libraries have to point to the Mesa libs and you have to set
VTK_OPENGL_HAS_OSMESA=ON yourself to be able to use offscreen mesa.