[vtk-developers] [vtkusers] Can we drop Visual Studio 6 support?

Berk Geveci berk.geveci at kitware.com
Fri Apr 17 20:26:40 EDT 2009

This is a great discussion. As I see it, the active VTK development
team does not want to support VS 6 anymore (yes, other old compilers
such as HP, AIX and IRIX compilers are also potential for the chopping
block). Yes, I know that we can continue supporting old C++ compilers.
VTK developers are a smart bunch. I know that we can also rewrite VTK
in Fortran 77 but that is not the point. We just don't want to focus
our resources towards it. If you are an active VTK developer and
disagree with me, please speak up. What is left for us to figure out
is the impact of this change on the user community. I am trying get
information about the following:

* Who is still using VS 6
* Why can't they move to a more recent compiler

I agree with you Bill that not every user is on this mailing list but
we have to start somewhere. I hope that someone that knows someone
that knows someone that must use VS6 would speak up. Unless we hear
some convincing stories, we will come up with a plan for phasing out
VS6 support.

I will start a new thread that is aimed towards answering the two
questions above. Unless you have a valid answer, please do not reply
to that message.

Best,
-berk