[vtk-developers] [vtkusers] Can we drop Visual Studio 6 support?

David Cole david.cole at kitware.com
Fri Apr 17 16:46:57 EDT 2009

I meant 5% of people who currently have write/commit access to the VTK CVS
repo, not all people who've ever compiled VTK anywhere.
And, yes, I think we should drop AIX and HP support, too. They fall into the
same category as VS 6 : a very small percentage of users use them. VTK is
open source. If somebody wants the support for those platforms, they should
be contributing it, monitoring it *and* maintaining it. As it stands, all of
us are responsible for trying to understand what happens on these platforms
that we would not even care about were it not for the single row they
represent on the VTK dashboard.

I don't know about all the rest of you, but I would much prefer spending my
time on building cool new stuff in VTK than patching the code over and over
again to make it work (again) with crufty old systems.

David