[vtk-developers] [vtkusers] Can we drop Visual Studio 6 support?

Scott, W Alan wascott at sandia.gov
Fri Apr 17 15:24:05 EDT 2009

I'm confused.
Customers would use the pre-compiled binary, wouldn't they?
Anyone that wants to compile ParaView is almost by definition a developer.

Just my own opinion - there is also the issue of cost in dollars and manpower.  If I had my way, we would be spending our limited resources cleaning up ParaView for the 3.6 release, working on multi-thread/ multi-core support, informatics, etc.  If someone does want VS 6.0 support (or any other support for a 10 year old compiler), maybe either they should pay for it or do it themselves?

I would vote to get rid of any compilers that are no longer supported.

Alan