[vtk-developers] [vtkusers] Can we drop Visual Studio 6 support?

Francois Bertel francois.bertel at kitware.com
Fri Apr 17 13:59:58 EDT 2009

An argument in favor of stopping VS6 support:

Even Microsoft stopped to support it officially. Microsoft stopped
"mainstream support" on 9/30/2004 and "extended support" on
9/30/2005.
ref: http://support.microsoft.com/lifecycle/?p1=3003

A little remark (not an argument): VS60 is the last version to run on
the Windows 9x platform ( but who is still using Windows 9x in 2009
anyway?):
ref: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Microsoft_Visual_Studio#Visual_Studio_6.0

On Fri, Apr 17, 2009 at 1:56 PM, Bill Lorensen <bill.lorensen at gmail.com> wrote:
> Berk,
>
> What sort of maintenance issues are you having?
>
> Are there other compilers the developers don't use? Visual Studio 7? Borland?
>
> I think the real issue is what compilers do the VTK installed base
> use? You may have customers that are using 3rd party drivers/libraries
> that are VS6. Actually, there is no way to know who the customers are.
>
> Bill
>
> On Fri, Apr 17, 2009 at 1:43 PM, Berk Geveci <berk.geveci at kitware.com> wrote:
>> Hi folks,
>>
>> We are thinking of dropping support for Visual Studio 6. It is causing
>> annoying maintenance issues since no one in the developer team uses it
>> and since VS 6 supports only a subset of modern C++ features. Are
>> there any objects? If yes, I would like to know why.
>>
>> Best,
>> -berk

1 (518) 371 3971 x113 | 28 Corporate Drive