[vtk-developers] vtkCleanPolyData

Rusty Blue rusty.blue at kitware.com
Thu Apr 23 09:39:08 EDT 2009

Folks,

We were using it on a project to remove duplicate points (tolerance == 0),
and found out yesterday it wasn't doing what we wanted.  That is, the
vtkPoints it creates to replace the input vtkPoints defaults to points of
type VTK_FLOAT (our input is double, and we need the extra precision).
Seems to be an error to me.

The most obvious thing to do would be to have the output vtkPoints be of the
same type as the input. but that does mean it will slightly change the
behavior of the filter (won't always be VTK_FLOAT points on output).   Could
instead add a flag that if ON would create output points which are the same
type as the input (defaults to OFF).

Am I over thinking this one?

Rusty