[vtk-developers] vtkCocoaRenderWindow qq

Sean McBride sean at rogue-research.com
Wed Oct 1 20:13:34 EDT 2008

On 10/1/08 12:28 PM, clinton at elemtech.com said:

>> >What I would have expected was something like
>> >vtkWindow concept       Cocoa concept       Carbon concept
>> >DisplayId               -na-                    -na-
>> >WindowId                NSView            HIView
>> >ParentId                 NSView            HIView
>> >RootWindow           NSWindow             Window
>>
>> In the Carbon column you have 2 HIViews.  Are these the same?  Do you
>> mean WindowId and ParentId are synonymous?
>
>They are not the same.  The WindowId/HIView is a child of ParentId/HIView.
>That gives the user the option of only setting the ParentId, and let VTK
>create the child window/view, and manage it.

I'm not too familiar with HIViews... you seem to be describing some kind
of subview relationship...

Generally, in the Cocoa case, VTK creates both the NSView and NSWindow,
and it sets the NSView as the NSWindow's contentView.  There isn't ever
another NSView.

I looked at the Carbon code, and I see it creates a WindowRef (stored in
RootWindow) and stores the WindowRef's contentView as the WindowId.  The
ParentId is never set, but it is read.  I guess I'm still not clear on
ParentId's purpose.

Anyway, this makes sense:

vtkWindow concept       Cocoa concept     Carbon concept
DisplayId               n/a               n/a
WindowId                NSView            HIViewRef
ParentId                ?                 HIViewRef
RootWindow              NSWindow          WindowRef

What, if anything, would you envision ParentId doing in the Cocoa case?

Sean McBride, B. Eng                 sean at rogue-research.com