[vtk-developers] vtkCocoaRenderWindow qq

Francois Bertel francois.bertel at kitware.com
Wed Oct 1 13:59:05 EDT 2008

Looking at the code, I found:

X11

DisplayId = Display structure (connection to X server)
WindowId= Window (window ID)
ParentId= Window (Window ID of the parent window (can be the root window) )

Win32
DisplayId = HDC (handle to device context) (the SetDisplayId() code
actually assign its argument to this->DeviceContext)
WindowId = HWND (handle to a window)
ParentId = HWND (handle to the parent window)

On Wed, Oct 1, 2008 at 1:34 PM, Sean McBride <sean at rogue-research.com> wrote:
> On 10/1/08 11:29 AM, clinton at elemtech.com said:
>
>>To add Carbon to your table:
>>vtkWindow concept       Cocoa concept       Carbon concept
>>DisplayId               NSView                 -na-
>>WindowId                NSWindow            HIView
>>ParentId                unimplemented       HIView
>>RootWindow           -na-                        Window
>
> Thanks.
>
>>However, I assume the Cocoa support was there before HIViews were
>>supported by
>>vtkCarbonRenderWindow.
>
> Could be.
>
>>What I would have expected was something like
>>vtkWindow concept       Cocoa concept       Carbon concept
>>DisplayId               -na-                    -na-
>>WindowId                NSView            HIView
>>ParentId                 NSView            HIView
>>RootWindow           NSWindow             Window
>
> I'm not trying to be difficult :), but why would you expect this?  Is
> there some documentation I'm missing?  vtkWindow seems to give no
> guidance.  Do you know what these refer to on X11 and Win32?

1 (518) 371 3971 x113 | 28 Corporate Drive