[vtk-developers] vtkCocoaRenderWindow qq

Sean McBride sean at rogue-research.com
Wed Oct 1 13:14:36 EDT 2008

On 10/1/08 10:54 AM, clinton at elemtech.com said:

>I've looked a bit at vtkCocoaRenderWindow to see how to make it work
with Qt,
>and the first thing I noticed was that one sets a Cocoa view using
>vtkCocoaRenderWindow::SetDisplayId, instead of
>vtkCocoaRenderWindow::SetWindowId.  Is there any reason its that way, as it
>seems to deviate from how the other vtk*RenderWindow classes work?
>Besides, "Display" is an X11 concept.
>Can we change that to make it consistent, so I don't have to add #ifdefs for
>the Cocoa case?

The superclass has SetDisplayId/SetWindowId, and, as you say, this
terminology does not map to Cocoa.

It might have been me that implemented them like that.  How do you
expect each to work?  The docs from the superclass are vague:
<http://www.vtk.org/doc/nightly/html/classvtkWindow.html>

In any case, these are documented public APIs, if we change them, we
break API-backwards compatibility.

Currently:

vtkWindow concept       Cocoa concept       Carbon concept
DisplayId               NSView              ?
WindowId                NSWindow            ?
ParentId                unimplemented       ?

How is it in the Carbon case?

Sean McBride, B. Eng                 sean at rogue-research.com