[vtk-developers] VTK + Python + AMD64 = broken

Mathieu Malaterre mathieu.malaterre at gmail.com
Fri May 2 12:19:27 EDT 2008

done:

$ cvs ci -m"BUG: RTLD_GLOBAL is still required on AMD64 platform,
since dl module is missing, use an API equivalent one intead: DLFCN"
__init__.py
/cvsroot/VTK/VTK/Wrapping/Python/vtk/__init__.py,v  <--  __init__.py

this bug is really nasty, I wish I knew a way to reproduce it easily
instead of segfaulting in some random part of the C++ code...

Thanks
-M

On Fri, May 2, 2008 at 6:13 PM, David Cole <david.cole at kitware.com> wrote:
> If you commit the changes to CVS HEAD, (and nobody objects to the
> changes...) I will merge them to the VTK-5-2 branch...
>

> On Fri, May 2, 2008 at 12:08 PM, Mathieu Malaterre
> <mathieu.malaterre at gmail.com> wrote:
>

> > I have just spent yet-another hour trying to figure out why the exact
> > same code would seg fault when called from the python-wrapped layer
> > and not the C++ layer. This is yet again the famous dlopen +
> > RTLD_GLOBAL that still need to be loaded (well at least on my debian
> > linux system).
> >
> > For some obscure reason the 'dl' python module has been removed on
> > AMD64, but the API can be found in the equivalent 'DLFCN' module.
> > Therefore I use the following approach in python: try first to load dl
> > then DLFCN:
> >

> http://gdcm.svn.sourceforge.net/viewvc/gdcm/trunk/Utilities/VTK/vtkgdcm.py?view=markup

> >  try:
> >    import dl