[vtk-developers] VTK + Python + AMD64 = broken

Mathieu Malaterre mathieu.malaterre at gmail.com
Fri May 2 12:08:05 EDT 2008

I have just spent yet-another hour trying to figure out why the exact
same code would seg fault when called from the python-wrapped layer
and not the C++ layer. This is yet again the famous dlopen +
RTLD_GLOBAL that still need to be loaded (well at least on my debian
linux system).

For some obscure reason the 'dl' python module has been removed on
AMD64, but the API can be found in the equivalent 'DLFCN' module.
Therefore I use the following approach in python: try first to load dl
then DLFCN:

http://gdcm.svn.sourceforge.net/viewvc/gdcm/trunk/Utilities/VTK/vtkgdcm.py?view=markup

  try:
    import dl