[vtk-developers] wxVTKRenderWindowInteractor example (was Re: X Error of failed request: GLXBadDrawable)

Mathieu Malaterre mathieu.malaterre at gmail.com
Fri Jun 27 09:45:53 EDT 2008

Here is a short wx example to demonstrate the issue:

1. You can hit the X limit pretty easily replacing
wxVTKRenderWindowInteractor with wxVTKRenderWindow (in which case each
renderwindow will creates its own X Display)

2. The issue I can still not work around can be reproduced using the
following python-wx script (*). Even using the complicated (ref Charl
Boath) finalization scheme it seems that something is not getting
clean up here. Could an opengl guru recommend a way to track down the
opengl call that might be leaked ?

Basically all I am doing is create enough widget on the first notebook
page, so that when user click on page 2:
-> I get rid of all widget from page 1
-> all widget defined on page 2 are getting created until we hit the
hardcoded limit

Thanks !
-Mathieu
Ps: you might have to tweak grid=(15,15) for your particular opengl driver

(*)
import wx

from vtk import *
# important to use wxVTKRenderWindowInteractor here since it implement
the wx.GetXDisplay() trick
from vtk.wx.wxVTKRenderWindowInteractor import wxVTKRenderWindowInteractor

class Page(wx.Panel):
    def __init__(self, parent):
        wx.Panel.__init__(self, parent)
        grid=(15,15)
        sizer = wx.GridSizer(rows=grid[0], cols=grid[1], hgap=1, vgap=1)
        n = grid[0]*grid[1]

        sphere = vtkSphereSource()
        sphereMapper = vtkPolyDataMapper()
        sphereMapper.SetInput(sphere.GetOutput())

        sphereActor = vtkActor()
        sphereActor.SetMapper(sphereMapper)

        self._wlist=[]
        for i in range(0,n):
          ren = vtkRenderer()
          ren.AddActor(sphereActor)
          renWin = wxVTKRenderWindowInteractor(self,-1, size=(10,10))
          self._wlist.append( renWin )
          renWin.GetRenderWindow().AddRenderer(ren)
          sizer.Add( renWin, 1, wx.EXPAND)

        self.SetSizer(sizer)

class MainFrame(wx.Frame):
    def __init__(self):
        wx.Frame.__init__(self, None, title="Simple Notebook Example")

        p = wx.Panel(self)
        nb = wx.Notebook(p)
        nb.Bind(wx.EVT_NOTEBOOK_PAGE_CHANGED,  self.MyPageChanged,id=nb.GetId())

        self._page1 = Page(nb)
        self._page2 = Page(nb)

        nb.AddPage(self._page1, "Page 1")
        nb.AddPage(self._page2, "Page 2")

        sizer = wx.BoxSizer()
        sizer.Add(nb, 1, wx.EXPAND)
        p.SetSizer(sizer)

    def MyPageChanged(self,event=None):
        # We should first Finalize the old ones:
        print event.GetOldSelection()
        if event.GetOldSelection() == 0:
          for w in self._page1._wlist:
            renderers = w.GetRenderWindow().GetRenderers()
            numRenderers = renderers.GetNumberOfItems()
            renderers.InitTraversal()
            for i in range(0,numRenderers):
              w.GetRenderWindow().RemoveRenderer(renderers.GetNextItem())
            w.GetRenderWindow().Finalize()
            w.SetRenderWindow(None)
            del w

        event.Skip()