[vtk-developers] Crash with vtkCompassWidget

Will Schroeder will.schroeder at kitware.com
Fri Jun 20 09:24:42 EDT 2008

This is the first time I've looked at the implementation of this class, so I
may be missing something.

Generally methods that retrieve "geometric" or representational information
(heading, tilt, distance) belong in the representation. Event stuff belongs
in the widget. However, the boundary between the widget and representation
can be confusing, hence the boundary is blurry. At a minimum the code should
be written so that a default representation is created if not present, and
we can consider these "convenience" methods and leave them in the widget. A
more drastic measure would be to remove the methods and make people go to
the representation for the information.

2008/6/20 David Cole <david.cole at kitware.com>:

> A widget requires an attached widget representation to work properly for
> all of its methods...
>
> Is this a bug? Or an intended "it's not gonna work unless there's a
> representation connected to it..."?
>
> Any Widgets folks want to chime in on whether this should be expected to
> work?
>

> Thx,
> David
>

> On Thu, Jun 19, 2008 at 4:39 PM, Prabhu Ramachandran <
> prabhu at aero.iitb.ac.in> wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> There is a bug with vtkCompassWidget.  It is trivial to reproduce.  Here
>> is a Python example:
>>
>>  import vtk
>>  w = vtk.vtkCompassWidget()
>>  print w.GetDistance()
>>
>> I get a bus error on my mac and others seem to get segmentation
>> violations.
>>
>> Thanks.
>>
>> cheers,
>> --