[vtk-developers] [vtkusers] LSM Reader in ITK / VTK - bio-formats

Karthik Krishnan karthik.krishnan at kitware.com
Wed Jul 30 17:53:53 EDT 2008

Dan:

Here at Kitware, we have a proprietary vtkLSMReader,
used in VolView (and unlike ITK's reader, handles multi-channel
LSM's). It also handles compressed LSM's (basically all the
compression formats that TIFF supports). However it does not
bother to parse meta-data.

I'd be happy to add it to VTK CVS (of course under a BSD license).

We would like more support for microscopy formats in VTK/ITK;
there have been requests for it on the ITK and VTK users list, and
addition of these readers would broaden the toolkits' adoption by
folks in microscopy.

I noticed that as a part of vtkBXD:
   https://bioimagexd.svn.sourceforge.net/svnroot/bioimagexd/bioimagexd/trunk/vtkBXD/Processing/
you have:

  1. vtkLSMReader - LSM file formats
  2. vtkLIFReader - Leica's .lif formats

Both the readers would be great additions to VTK.

If you would like to have the readers incorporated into VTK, in
keeping with VTK's quality testing process, we would need test
images from you (both single and multi-channel, compressed and
uncompressed), for regression testing.

Dave Cole and I can help with the cleaning up of the code, merging
the readers and adding it to VTK.

How are you handling the meta-data right now. Do you have a
specialized datastructure to house the same ? ITK has its own
meta-data dictionary. VTK has, for a while been using
vtkMedicalImageProperties. I think it might be time to create a
framework for microscopy meta-data in VTK as well.

Mathieu Malaterre can be reached at mathieu.malaterre at kitware.com .
He left Kitware and is back in Lyon.

Thanks
Regards