[vtk-developers] VTK 5.2 Release Planning

David Cole david.cole at kitware.com
Mon Jan 28 14:45:49 EST 2008

Dear VTK users and developers,

We are planning to create the VTK-5-2 branch in about a month (around the
end of February), followed by a month or so of bug fixing activity, followed
by the first release candidate for the VTK 5.2 release in early April, 2008.

As part of that plan, we would like to ask you, the VTK community, to
contribute to a successful release by doing the following:
- Review the non-resolved bugs in the bug database and make notes on those
you really want to see fixed.
- Help us make the "What's New in VTK 5.2" section of the Wiki page complete
(did we forget something that you know is new in 5.2?) -- contribute to the
Wiki at http://www.vtk.org/Wiki/VTK_5.2_Release_Planning
- Help us get (and keep!) the dashboards to a state of blissful green.
- Promptly add any newly found bugs or last-minute feature requests to the
bug database.
- Keep reading and responding to the mailing lists.

We will be triaging the bug database to prioritize which bugs we will fix.
If you would like to see a particular bug addressed before we release 5.2,
please visit the bug database and "vote" for that bug sometime in the next
week or two. To "vote", visit http://public.kitware.com/Bug, sign in (or
sign up for an account and then sign in), and add a note to any bug that you
would like to see fixed. That will show us what the interest level is in
fixing that particular bug. Obviously, bugs with little or no interest
expressed are less likely to be addressed than bugs with much interest
expressed.

New features in VTK since the 5.0 release include:
- Infovis kit
- Views kit
- New Widgets architecture and more than a dozen new widgets
- New Utilities: freerange, verdict, libxml2, metaio, sqlite
- Updated Utilities: freetype, zlib
- More than 300 new C++ classes.
- More than 100 new C++ tests running on most dashboards
- Many bug fixes, including much improved Java wrapping support and Mac OSX
support

For all of us VTK-ers at Kitware and around the world, thanks for your
continued contributions,
 David Cole
Kitware, Inc.