[vtk-developers] Incompatible change to vtkSQLiteDatabase

Andy Wilson atwilso at sandia.gov
Mon Jan 21 14:13:54 EST 2008

If you have used vtkSQLiteDatabase to create any databases, read on.  If
not, please print this email out and use it to line the birdcage.

When I added SQLite support to VTK I did a search-and-replace on its source
code to change sqlite to vtk_sqlite.  The purpose behind that was to avoid
namespace collisions with other copies of sqlite that might be floating
around the system -- notably the one that comes with Qt's SQL module.
Unfortunately, that caught more than just the symbols in the source code.
It also changed the names of some of SQLite's internal tables and the
version string that tells it that a given file is a valid database.

The upshot of all this is that vtkSQLiteDatabase cannot now read databases
created by other SQLite tools, nor can other SQLite tools read databases
created by vtkSQLiteDatabase.  This is clearly the Wrong Thing.

I'm about to check in a fixed version of vtk_sqlite3.c.  In addition to
fixing the incompatibility, this change will render old databases created by
vtkSQLiteDatabase unreadable.  If this causes problems for you then please
contact me directly and I will work with you to get things transferred
safely to the new version.

I apologize for the inconvenience.  I'll be updating the test cases for
vtkSQLiteDatabase so that this sort of thing can't happen again.

-- Andy