[vtk-developers] MotionFactor in vtkInteractorStyleTrackballCamera

dean.inglis at camris.ca dean.inglis at camris.ca
Thu Jan 17 21:35:09 EST 2008

I have been developing an app using KWWidgets and now have
vtkKWSelectionFrame subclasses with vtkKWRenderWidgets pretty
much identical to what is in VolView.  In side by side testing my volume rendering
frame with the same data set rendered in VolView, it appears that
the interaction sensitivity is higher in VolView: ie camera roll is "tighter"
in VolView.  I can only account for this difference by the ivar MotionFactor
in vtkInteractorStyleTrackballCamera, since I created a copy of this
class but made public Set/Get MotionFactor methods.  Increasing
the MotionFactor leads to a "tighter" coupling between mouse motion
and camera adjustments (a negative motion factor reverses the sense
of direction too).  So I am asking the vtk developers:
1)  if there is any reason why we cannot make MotionFactor publicly accessible
with possible a clamp macro to keep things reasonable, although this
doesn't seem necessary?
2) are there other factors to take into account when trying to adjust
interaction sensitivity?

Dean