[vtk-developers] Use vtkContour to find outline of mask in vtkImageData?

Thu Jan 17 12:53:47 EST 2008

Thanks, Dean and Karthik.

Dean, you sent me that contour cleaner before and it has been very helpful.

I already use the initializer on the vtkContourWidget to save/restore contours.

If you're interested in my current application you can download it at

http://www.cornwarning.com/xfer/BRAINSTracer.tar.gz

The only thing beyond the normal 'Slicer3' libary requirments is the
vtkINRIA3D which builds without trouble on every platform I've tried.

It is, I would say, early alpha; in particular, we're up in the air
about how to have a user select (and then have the program enforce) a
particular tracing direction. Right now you can trace in one
direction, change to a different view and trace in different plane,
which doesn't make any sense. I've also crammed the entire
functionality of the application into my image viewer widget, which is
not very nice.  I plan on pulling all the tracing stuff out into it's
own widget, so that it will work with any implementation of an image
viewer.

But it does something that so far I don't think anyone else has
implemented -- allows multi-contour tracing on a slice by slice basis.
 The impetus behind it is that at the University of Iowa we are
developing a new code base we call Brains3 to replace our production
research application Brains2.  Manual tracing of brain scans is still
important to our research, to establish a baseline against which to
compare the automatic segmentation pipelines.  Our department is fully
committed to integrating, working with, and extending the Kitware tool
suite as we go forward with our own development.