[vtk-developers] Re: vtkVectorText beyond ASCII - solution

Karthik Krishnan karthik.krishnan at kitware.com
Thu Jan 10 14:22:37 EST 2008

On 1/10/08, Sean McBride <sean at rogue-research.com> wrote:

> So one thing VTK needs is a cross-platform, open source, Unicode-aware
> string class.  There are no doubt several.  Although I do not have much
> personal experience dealing with Unicode strings, I have followed many
> discussions on the topic and think ICU is probably one of the better
> choices:
> <http://www.icu-project.org/userguide/strings.html#ustrings_cpp>

Nice.

Seems to be an MIT license, so I doubt if there'd be issues adding it to
VTK.
I'm just curious to know whether it'd be appropriate to add it to VTK or
kwsys (proabably VTK given that its a whole library that might be checked
in).

Boost seems to support unicode strings too, (internally users the same ICU
library you're referring to).

--
karthik

Cheers,