[vtk-developers] vtkAudricClustering

Will Schroeder will.schroeder at kitware.com
Fri Jan 25 07:41:14 EST 2008

Utkarsh / Berk -

I have checked vktQuadricClustering.h/.cxx into VTK CVS. There are two major
additions:

1. You can set bin size in any dimension to 1 or more (before it was
enforced to 2 or more). This allows nice decimation of "thin" objects like
xy surfaces.
2. By default, now the algorithm prevents the insertion of duplicate
triangles.

Note however, that if you really want to do the job right, you have to
combine these two features appropriately. For example, if you have a wiggly
2D surface (oriented mainly in the xy plane), it's best to set the number of
bins in z to 1, and also make sure that PreventDuplicateCells is also
enabled. I am adding a vtkQuadricLODActor that encapsulates this logic, plus
display list logic, into a convenient class. It's very handy to use and
gives far superior results than vtkLODActor. With these two changes, you can
prevent the pathological situations where QC generates an inordinate number
of triangles (due to cross-bin surface wiggles creating crazily connected
surfaces).

William J. Schroeder, PhD
Kitware, Inc.
28 Corporate Drive