[vtk-developers] Mysterious test failures...

David Cole david.cole at kitware.com
Wed Feb 27 13:12:33 EST 2008

Last Friday, we started getting 78 tests failing on krondor and midworld,
two old Macs we have here at Kitware running OSX 10.3.
Failing test list for krondor:
http://www.vtk.org/Testing/Sites/krondor.kitware/Darwin-c++-carbon/20080222-0300-Nightly/Test.html

These are the files that were updated for this build:
http://www.vtk.org/Testing/Sites/krondor.kitware/Darwin-c++-carbon/20080222-0300-Nightly/Update.html

For the life of me, I do not see which of these changes might have caused
these tests to start failing on that day....

For the test "expCos" (and many of the others have similar output) the
following output is emitted when a vtkRenderWindowInteractor is created:

ERROR: In /Users/kitware/Dashboards/My
Tests/VTK/Filtering/vtkDemandDrivenPipeline.cxx, line 686
vtkStreamingDemandDrivenPipeline (0x2b05c60): Algorithm
vtkOutlineSource(0x2b05700) did not create output for port 0 when
asked by REQUEST_DATA_OBJECT and does not specify any DATA_TYPE_NAME.

(...same output repeated 6 more times...)

And then the test crashes on line 65 of
Graphics/Testing/Cxx/expCos.cxx because "input" is NULL...

Any clues why this might have started happening on this day? To the
best of my knowledge, nothing changed on the machines other than
updating the source tree every night...

Thanks,
David Cole