[vtk-developers] Re: [ParaView3-Developer] Setting Update Extent

John Biddiscombe biddisco at cscs.ch
Fri Feb 22 10:29:05 EST 2008

Berk

> multiblock datasets? I have to think about that). I am not sure "if
> update extent not set ..." is the right check for multiblock/AMR
> datasets since the update extent may be set from the previous block to
> the wrong thing. I have to look at the code to see if the update
> extent is cleared anywhere.

I see the problem. One I will have soon no doubt as I do time loops on
AMR....

One thing (from my original post) I was not quite sure of was this...
1) Instantiate reader : pv gui displays output (pieces have their
extents set correctly)
2) Instantiate Temporal cache, pv gui displays output (not sure which
timestep, or maybe both!)
3) Extents are set as outlined above, but were they set correctly during
2, or were the values left over from 1

image
1) Instantiate reader, and cache in one go, call update on cache.
Are the extents correect now, because we didn't go through the process
of doing it 'by hand' with a simple output
> Day by day, I am growing more annoyed by the fact the executives much

I presume this is 'Muck about'
> with structured extents. I think that the executives should always
> deal with piece extents and leave all the structured extent stuff to
> algorithms.
Yes. What I did when I had trouble witrh piece numbers being passed in
was simply query the mpi communicator for piece number and num pieces
and then set my own extents 'by hand' using a vtkExtent translator.

> One day, I will become annoyed enough to rewrite the
> composite data executive to do just that. If I only had 48 hours days
> for a while :-)

You could have 24 hour days, but use a helper! I've wasted enough of my
life with these executives to want to rewrite them a bit more 'cleanly' ...

Evolution of code for Streaming + Parallel pieces + Temporal Loops = big
mess. (I hope that's not too rude.)

JB