[vtk-developers] more vtkContourWidget questions...

Mon Feb 11 17:38:28 EST 2008

Sooo ... I showed the people that would actually be using the tool
I've built using vtkContourWidget.   The one complaint they had was
that they'd like the option of 'pencil' mode -- where you push the
mouse around and it drops a trail of points behind it.

I know roughly how I'd have to modify vtkContourWidget:

1. Add a method to toggle between modes.
2. Augment the action methods, to support calling AddNode when the
mouse position changes.
3. When done drawing -- mouse button up -- clean up the contour pointt.

Unfortunately, I don't see another way other than hacking into the
vtkContourWidget to be able to support a pencil mode.

The problem with showing users a program is that they want it to do a
lot of stuff, and they don't care about how complicated it is.  I was
also asked for a 'magic wand' selection tool. In fact, what people
would really like would be the selection tools from the Gimp or
Photoshop ;-)