[vtk-developers] vtkMultiPieceDataSet (was Composite Data Redesign)

John Biddiscombe biddisco at cscs.ch
Mon Feb 4 04:40:54 EST 2008

Utkarsh

I've got one use case scenario that fits the MultiPiece dataset....

I have 8 pieces of a volume which are placed into a multiblock dataset.
Pieces are 0-11, 12-23 along each eaxis.

When I create the data, I put WholeExtent 0-23 and Extent 0-11 or 12-23
as required and all is well. Then I pass the data into another filter and

reader -> GetDataSet(0,i)->GetWholeExtent(...) returns 0-23, 0,23, 0-23
filter->SetInput(output...) (executive is composite)
filter->Update()
reader -> GetDataSet(0,i)->GetWholeExtent(...) returns 0-11, 0,11, 0,11
or 12-23, 23-23, 12-23 ie WholeExtent=Extent

The whole extent is always being reset to the actual extents. This is
bad and I think it is a bug (- I lose precious information that I need
to use when piecing the data back together later). But if there is a
reason for it (and I'm trying to chase it down as I write), then I can
see a case for handling a piece dataset differently.

I say no more until I've investigated further.

JB