[vtk-developers] python, postgreSQL, VTK build

Darren Weber darren.weber.lists at gmail.com
Fri Aug 29 16:39:54 EDT 2008

For my install of PGSQL, I had to build pqxx from source and I have the
following libraries:

[ dweber at elegans ~/src/kitware/VTK_build ]$ ls /Library/PostgreSQL/8.3/lib/
libecpg.6.0.dylib*  libecpg.dylib@             libecpg_compat.a
libpgtypes.3.0.dylib*  libpgtypes.dylib@  libpq.a
libecpg.6.dylib@    libecpg_compat.3.0.dylib*  libecpg_compat.dylib@
libpgtypes.3.dylib@    libpq.5.1.dylib*   libpq.dylib@
libecpg.a           libecpg_compat.3.dylib@    libpgport.a
libpgtypes.a           libpq.5.dylib@     postgresql/
[ dweber at elegans ~/src/kitware/VTK_build ]$
[ dweber at elegans ~/src/kitware/VTK_build ]$ ls /usr/local/lib/libpqxx*
/usr/local/lib/libpqxx-3.0.0.dylib*  /usr/local/lib/libpqxx.a
/usr/local/lib/libpqxx.dylib@  /usr/local/lib/libpqxx.la*
[ dweber at elegans ~/src/kitware/VTK_build ]$

This is what I see for a VTK-5-2 checkout in VTK/IO/CMakeLists.txt (just the
PGSQL section):

#-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
# PostgreSQL
# build the PostgreSQL database backend (if the PostgresSQL and pqxx
libraries are available)
#
OPTION( VTK_USE_POSTGRES "Build the PostgreSQL driver for vtkSQLDatabase."
OFF)
MARK_AS_ADVANCED(VTK_USE_POSTGRES)
IF ( VTK_USE_POSTGRES )
  FIND_PACKAGE( PQXX REQUIRED )
  IF ( BUILD_TESTING )
    SET ( VTK_PSQL_TEST_URL "" CACHE STRING "A URL for a PostgreSQL server
of the form psql://[[username[:password]@]hostname[:port]]/[dbname]" )
  ENDIF ( BUILD_TESTING )
ENDIF ( VTK_USE_POSTGRES )
#
# Only include the Postgres backend if the user has explicitly turned on
# VTK_USE_POSTGRES. If so, user must also have set POSTGRES_LIBRARIES
# and POSTGRES_INCLUDE_DIRECTORIES to valid values.
IF ( VTK_USE_POSTGRES AND PQXX_FOUND )
  INCLUDE_DIRECTORIES( ${PQXX_INCLUDE_DIRECTORIES} )
  SET( Kit_SRCS
    ${Kit_SRCS}
    vtkPostgreSQLDatabase.cxx
    vtkPostgreSQLQuery.cxx
  )
  LINK_LIBRARIES( ${PQXX_LIBRARIES} )
ENDIF ( VTK_USE_POSTGRES AND PQXX_FOUND )

#-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

So I changed the LINK_LIBRARIES as suggested and I'm running ccmake in the
same build (I don't want to scrap it and lose the cache completely, it has a
lot of settings that I need).  So now ccmake is finding:

PQXX_HEADER_PATH /usr/local/include
PQXX_LIBRARY
/usr/local/lib/libpqxx.dylib

PQXX_INCLUDE_DIRECTORIES         /usr/local/include
PQXX_LIBRARIES                   /usr/local/lib/libpqxx.dylib

POSTGRES_INCLUDE_DIRECTORIES
/opt/local/include/postgresql83

POSTGRES_LIBRARIES
/opt/local/lib/postgresql83

In my case, I first installed PGSQL with macports and then removed it using
macports.  So, ccmake has a stale entry that is not updated when I run it
again.  I should probably scrap this build directory and start again.  Maybe
there is a way to ensure ccmake double-checks the cache entries?  That might
be easier, because a lot of this build is already done.  It should be
finding the /Library/PostgreSQL/ path, which is what I used to build the
pqxx library (there was no pqxx in macports).

So, I've tried to manually change the POSTGRES* paths to:

POSTGRES_INCLUDE_DIRECTORIES /Library/PostgreSQL/8.3/include
POSTGRES_LIBRARIES /Library/PostgreSQL/8.3/lib

However, I got a stack of warnings at the end of the generation (for most
vtk components):

WARNING: Target "vtkIO" requests linking to directory
"/Library/PostgreSQL/8.3/lib".  Targets may link only to libraries.  CMake
is dropping the entry.

So then I set all the PGSQL and PQXX paths to an empty value and I toggled
off and on VTK_USE_POSTGRESQL and it came back with:

PQXX NOT FOUND

and the PGSQL paths remained empty.  I'm stumbling around in the dark :-(

Thanks!