[vtk-developers] new method for vtkContourRepresentation

Dean Inglis dean.inglis at sympatico.ca
Wed Aug 20 14:01:32 EDT 2008

Hi all,

I've been working on a variant of vtkDijkstraGraphGeodesicPath

that works on vtkImageData (uses vtkPixel as the cell for building the
adjacency list):

not sure what to call it (vtkImageDijkstra ?).

I have also subclassed a new vtkContourLineInterpolator for
vtkContourRepresentation

that maintains the above filter as an ivar and uses it to track edges in an
interactive

manner similar to what is done with a LiveWire algorithm:

not sure what to call it (vtkDijkstraContourLineInterpolator ?).

The line interpolator takes the contour rep as a vtkPolyData,

which means that it will sometimes try to interpolate between

many intermediate points between a contour's nodes.  I would like

to add a method to vtkContourRepresentation to recover only the

lines segments between nodes:

void GetNodePolyData( vtkPolyData* );

wherein the user supplies the polydata.

Currently there is vtkPolyData* GetContourRepresentationAsPolyData();

to recover all line segments between nodes

and intermediate points.

Are there any objections to adding this method?  Are there

any suggestions for better class/method names?   Is there any

interest in having this interactive edge tracker to contributed to VTK?

Dean