[vtk-developers] CreateRepeatingTimer and X11/Tk

David Cole david.cole at kitware.com
Mon Aug 18 10:39:12 EDT 2008

There is interaction available if you call "iren Start" at the bottom of
your tcl script to push an X event loop sponsored by the
vtkRenderWindowInteractor.
The remaining problem is that on other platforms (Windows with ActiveState
Tcl, for example) the vtk.exe Tcl/Tk event loop is running and enabling
interaction without any "iren Start" at the bottom of the tcl script. So
ideally, it would be nice to get that behavior for free in X
implementations, too... seems to be what VTK devs expect.

So, I may have to put back some of the tcl-specific X code that used to be
there before my commit last Thursday. I spent Friday in a fruitless attempt
at getting the interaction to work with just X stuff from our tcl/tk app.
Maybe somebody out there can give me a hint about whether this is really
possible or not...? Maybe I'm just wasting my time trying to minimize the
code required.... going back to using Tk_DoOneEvent and tcl timers may be
the right way to go after all.

At least there is now one common implementation for handling the actual X
events, though. At least that part of my cleanup effort will survive. I will
reply again with final results when I have them.

Thanks for your patience, and feel free to send along any helpful hints.

David Cole