[vtk-developers] Attention: WidgetRepresentation contributors

David Cole david.cole at kitware.com
Fri Aug 8 14:33:28 EDT 2008

BUG: When signature differs from parent class declaration ("double*" vs.
"double e[2]") then the Visual Studio 6 compiler does not call the proper
implementation. If the signatures match exactly, then it does. Workaround
this compiler bug by making all the *WidgetInteraction methods take double
arrays of 2 elements rather than double*... Always be consistent. This
commit should fix the failing slider widget tests on the VS6 dashboards.

The changes listed here:
http://www.cdash.org/CDash/viewUpdate.php?buildid=142739

...make widgets work properly when built with the Visual Studio 6 compiler.

Please, please, please, if you are doing any vtkWidgetRepresentation
subclasses, follow this rule during your development: match the parent class
signatures of the methods *exactly* so that they will work with VS6 builds.
Unfortunately "double* e" and "double e[2]" are not the same thing to VS6...

I think I fixed all the outstanding instances of this (apparently copied &
pasted) pattern. I'm hoping that others will read this email and avoid
making this "mistake" in the future.

Thanks,
David Cole