[vtk-developers] QVTKWidgetPlugin debug/release versions on Windows

Andrew Maclean andrew.amaclean at gmail.com
Tue Aug 5 18:33:58 EDT 2008

I tried out the "d"postfix, and it sems to work Ok, but does not fix my problem!

This is probably me but there is something I don't understand.

1) I have copied the release version of QVTKWidgetPlugin.dll to
%QT_PATH%\plugins\designer and it appears Ok in designer. Note that
the debug build of this dll will not even register in designer.

2) I take SimpleView in the VTK/EXamples/QT and it builds OK - no
problems. I am building it in Visual Studio 9. CMake finds everything,
no errors, no warnings.

When I run the release version in Visual Studio or from a command
prompt, it runs Ok.
However when I run the debug version either from Visual Studio or from
a command prompt, the instantiation fails at the line:
    vtkWidget = new QVTKWidget(centralWidget);
ui_uiSimpleView4.h
With a message: "QWidget: Must construct a QApplication before a QPaintDevice"

Why isn't QVTKWidget able to be used when building debug versions of
the executable?
Why won't the debug version of QVTKWidgetPlugin.dll register in designer?

I am using QT-4.3.4. Vista, Visual Studio Version 9.

Andrew