[vtk-developers] VTK on Mac OS X: Carbon vs Cocoa, change of default

clinton at elemtech.com clinton at elemtech.com
Thu Oct 25 14:27:22 EDT 2007

On Thursday 25 October 2007 11:08:45 am Sean McBride wrote:
> On 10/25/07 10:37 AM, David Cole said:
> >Does Qt integration with VTK on the Mac require VTK_USE_CARBON...? Or can
> >you use Qt with either vtkRenderWindow...?
>
> BTW, the Qt people have announced they are transitioning to Cocoa
> because of this whole 'No 64 bit Carbon' thing:
> <http://trolltech.com/company/newsroom/announcements/press.
> 2007-06-19.6756913411>
>
> Until then, a 64 bit Mac Paraview will be impossible I guess. :(

I wouldn't say "impossible."
Apple made X11 64 bit capable?  And some people have made an X11 based build
of ParaView 3 for Mac.  So a 64 bit ParaView GUI should be possible.
Also, a 64 bit paraview server based on Cocoa should work (a 32 bit one does).

Thanks for warning me about Qt's transition to Cocoa.

Clint