[vtk-developers] thread Problem

Jeff Baumes jeff.baumes at kitware.com
Wed Oct 24 08:55:18 EDT 2007

A few things that could help determine the problem:  What OS and
version of VTK / Java are you using?  Are you using vtkPanel?  Can you
give a small example that fails?

The following code works in VTK CVS and Java 1.6 in Windows Vista.

import java.awt.*;
import java.awt.event.*;
import javax.swing.*;
import vtk.*;

public class SimpleVTK extends JPanel implements ActionListener {
  static JFrame frame;
  vtkPanel renWin;
  JButton colorButton;
  vtkActor coneActor;

  public SimpleVTK() {
    setLayout(new BorderLayout());
    // Create the buttons.
    renWin = new vtkPanel();
    vtkConeSource cone = new vtkConeSource();
    cone.SetResolution(8);
    vtkPolyDataMapper coneMapper = new vtkPolyDataMapper();
    coneMapper.SetInput(cone.GetOutput());

    coneActor = new vtkActor();
    coneActor.SetMapper(coneMapper);

    renWin.GetRenderer().AddActor(coneActor);

    colorButton = new JButton("Change color");
    colorButton.addActionListener(this);

    add(renWin, BorderLayout.CENTER);
    add(colorButton, BorderLayout.EAST);
  }

  {
    if (e.getSource().equals(colorButton))
      {
      coneActor.GetProperty().SetColor(1.0, 0.0, 0.0);
      renWin.GetRenderWindow().Render();
      }
  }

  public static void main(String s[])
  {
    SimpleVTK panel = new SimpleVTK();

    frame = new JFrame("SimpleVTK");
    frame.addWindowListener(new WindowAdapter()
      {
        public void windowClosing(WindowEvent e) {System.exit(0);}
      });
    frame.getContentPane().add("Center", panel);
    frame.pack();
    frame.setVisible(true);
  }
}