[vtk-developers] Re: vtkSQLDatabase

Andy Wilson atwilso at sandia.gov
Tue Nov 27 19:35:57 EST 2007

On 11/27/07 5:22 PM, "David C Thompson" <dcthomp at sandia.gov> wrote:
> 1. Adding a URL parser to the vtkSQLDatabase class?

I don't mind having such a function available.  Should the method that does
the heavy lifting (static void ParseURL) go in vtkSQLDatabase or is there a
more suitable home for it?  Offhand I don't see an appropriate class for it
(there are XMLUtilities, TimePointUtility, FreeTypeUtilities, but no
StringUtilities).

I like the idea of CreateFromURL figuring out which back-end to use based on
the protocol.  I agree that it should be easily extensible to new back-ends.

> 2. Adding enums to represent the various basic column storage types?
>    This is an area where SQL implementations vary significantly.

I think this is a good idea modulo wrapping concerns (see below).

> 3. Adding #define VTK_SQL_FEATURE_TRIGGERS 1009?

Again, no objection.

> 4. Adding a uniform interface for creating and dropping databases
>    and tables?

This sounds useful as well.  My biggest concern with this and with #2 is how
it will interact with wrapping.  Whatever the interface ends up looking
like, it needs to work in Python, Tcl and Java as well as C++.

I defer to others' comments.

-- Andy