[vtk-developers] PLY reader issues

Mathieu Coursolle mcoursolle at rogue-research.com
Mon Nov 12 15:52:08 EST 2007

Hi VTK developpers,

I am currently using vtkPLYReader class to load some polygonal objects.
After some tests, I noticed that I could not open all PLY files I had.
I am running Mac OS 10.5 on an intel Mac.

I first tried the stanford Bunny <http://www-graphics.stanford.edu/data/
3Dscanrep/>
without any success. The file defines its data as float32, int32 and
uint8, types
that are not known with vtkPLY.

I provide a patch with those types added (see mantis 5775), as well as
some line ending
issues for which that bug was previously open.

I could test it with a few files from the stanford database with
success. However, I could
not test it on other platform.

Is there a vtkPLYReader test right now? If now, would it be hard to add
the stanford bunny (and/or other ply files), as
a test? Is there a procedure to add such a test?

Thanks.

Mathieu

Mathieu Coursolle                   mcoursolle at rogue-research.com
Rogue Research                      www.rogue-research.com