[vtk-developers] Quadratic convenience classes in vtkUnstructuredGrid

Soeren Gebbert soerengebbert at googlemail.com
Tue May 29 04:24:38 EDT 2007

Hi,

Mathieu Malaterre wrote:

> Hi Ken,
>
>  Indeed ! I believe you can track back the change to me at some point
> last year. One group (michelin, France) is using a sort of multi-UG to
> represent there tires. So they have multiple (= a lot!) vtkUG and they realize
> that performance was affected by that. Since they only use a limited
> subset of the available vtkCell in VTK and because you do not need
> explicit representation of a Cell they submited the patch.
>
>  the other cells were proposed by a vtk user, and I guess he
> implemented those classes at the time where vtkCell sublcasses would
> instanciate everything in the cstor.

It was me, and i think that was the case, but i cant remember correctly.

>  I believe this is safe to change the current behavior of the new
> Bi/Tri quad cell to copy the behavior of the older quad cell.

I agree with that. After changing the behavior, no problems appeared
with the new
(quadratic) cells.

btw:
The bug
Bug *#3691* - Contouring of new nonlinear cells incorrect
is still open. Does the fixes dont work?
Here are three screenshots
which will show the bug and the fix in paraview.

A plate made of vtkQuadraticLinearWedge's is clipped with the clipping
filter in paraviw 2.6:

The plate:
http://www-pool.math.tu-berlin.de/~soeren/VTK/Pictures/quad_lin_wedge_paraview.png

The clipped plate with current paraview 2.6 cvs version
http://www-pool.math.tu-berlin.de/~soeren/VTK/Pictures/quad_lin_wedge_clip_bug_in_paraview.png

The clipped plate with the fixed VTK sources in paraview 2.6 cvs version
http://www-pool.math.tu-berlin.de/~soeren/VTK/Pictures/quad_lin_wedge_clip_paraview_with_patch.png

Best regards
Soeren