[vtk-developers] Status of QVTKRenderWindowInteractor for PyQt4

Phil Thompson phil at riverbankcomputing.co.uk
Tue May 8 12:35:36 EDT 2007

On Tuesday 08 May 2007 5:18 pm, clinton at elemtech.com wrote:
> I gave a response to that patch when someone who might have applied the
> patch asked me about it.
>
> Among the issues I mentioned, a couple were:
> The non-portable use of WA_PaintOnScreen (supports X11 only), and using the
> X11 Visual Qt gives instead of the one VTK asks for.
>
> The impression I got by visual inspection was that the code only works on
> Linux.  Not on Windows, Mac, or other Unixes.
>
> Phil asked for a specific list of issues and I gave them to him.  That's
> the last I heard.

I responded to those - but didn't get a subsequent response.

> I'm not sure it is possible to resolve all the issues I mentioned with
> python, but most of them probably could be.  Its my opinion that a python
> wrapper around the C++ QVTKWidget we already have would solve all the
> issues, but that would be a bit more work than what was done by Phil to
> make the original patch.
>
> I don't use this code, and if the users are happy with the patch, despite
> the limitations (most/all of which were there previously), then I have no
> problem with the patch being applied.

The state as I see it is...

- The PyQt4 version works at least as well as the current PyQt3 version.

- Issues can be resolved through bug reports and ripping off solutions from
your C++ version (there shouldn't be anything that can be done in C++ that
can't be done in Python). I'm happy to provide patches if and when required.

- An API based on the existing PyQt3 version will help porting.

- A Python wrapper of the C++ version will involve work to the VTK build
system. If someone else were to pick this up I would happily provide the
necessary wrapper.

The simplest approach is to apply the patch.

Phil