[vtk-developers] vtkTextActor and non-ASCII strings

Sean McBride sean at rogue-research.com
Fri Mar 2 11:59:51 EST 2007

On 2007-02-28 10:40, David Cole said:

>I think you must mean is there an "open feature request" for that...
>VTK strings are simply "char*" all over the place.

:)

>Feel free to beef up vtkTextActor to handle different encodings and
>submit a patch with your feature request!

Well, for now, we've submitted a bug/feature request: 4501.

But actually, the point of my post was to determine what the current
behaviour is supposed to be.  You've confirmed the use of char*
everywhere, but that doesn't really address the encoding.  From our
tests, vtkTextActor only seems to support 7-bit ASCII, but vtkTextMapper
seems to support Latin1 (an 8-bit superset of ASCII with some accented
Latin characters, see <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Latin1#Code_table>).

The docs don't say anything about which encoding is expected.  But I'm
definitely getting the feeling that 7-bit ASCII is all VTK likes. :(

Sean McBride, B. Eng                 sean at rogue-research.com